Monday, July 30, 2012

Right to the Very Heart of It, New York, New York

New York City!  Wow, what an exhausting city to do with babies.  They napped on the go, and we sure wished we could too.
Baby Levi napping.
Piper napping.

Baby Levi loved the hustle and bustle.  He especially liked the subway.  The noise and the movement really appealed to him

The subway is not stroller-friendly, though.  Thank goodness for extra sets of hands.  We had to carry the strollers up and down stairs over and over again.  Also, we had to enter through the subway's emergency exit, setting off the alarm every single time.  I watched an NYC mom carry her toddler-in-stroller up the stairs like a champ.  I sooo could not do that day after day.
Pointed toes means he's excited.


We did a lot of fun stuff in New York City.  We started out shopping in Chinatown (did you see my awesome sunglasses in the first picture?).  Then we jumped on the Staten Island ferry to see the Statute of Liberty.

Happy baby on the ferry.


After the ferry we went to the 9-11 memorial.  Thankfully Paul was on the ball (haha, that rhymes) and got us tickets that morning so we could head right in.  Very very sadly, though, after Paul skipped Chinatown and the ferry to move our suitcases and get our tickets, he couldn't even go in the memorial because he had his fancy pocketknife in his shorts.  As Piper would say, Bummer!!
The new towers are under construction.  At the site of the old towers is the memorial.  It's an outdoor park with huge fountains where the towers were.  The fountains flow downwards, and all around are the names of those who died on 9-11 and in the first World Trade Center bombing.



This tree is called the Survivor Tree.  It was found alive after the 9-11 attack and was replanted and is still flourishing.

After the memorial we grabbed a bite to eat at a roadside hot dog stand.  I was furious when I found out my meal cost $18!!!  Seriously??  Is that soft pretzel filled with gold?  Dang.

We went back to the hotel for a short rest and to get the babies down to sleep.  Then we went to the musical Jersey Boys.



I'll be the first to admit that Jersey Boys wasn't my top pick of Broadway shows to see.  But it was sooo good!!  I loved it!  I didn't think I knew any Four Seasons songs, but I knew almost every one they played.  The music was fantastic, the story was interesting, and the performances were dynamite.  I definitely recommend it to anyone.  Fabulous show.

Unfortunately, the babies could sense we were having too much fun without them.  They woke up right about the time the show was starting and wouldn't stay asleep for Krystle and Paul.
It was sweet to get back to the hotel and see Paul rocking baby Levi to sleep and shushing me as I walked in.  Krystle and Paul handled the situation like pros. 

The next morning we hopped a plane out of LaGuardia and headed home to sunny Florida!  Daddy Levi was really happy to have us back.  We had a fantastic trip.  Muchos thank yous to Krystle and Paul for being our tour guides, our cooks, our chauffeurs, our babysitters, etc etc.  I'll come back anytime you'll have me!

No comments:

Post a Comment